The preparation takes less than 15 minutes and soaking takes about a day. With proper planning you may enjoy this delicious dish effortlessly. This recipe is adapted from a recipe from Shyh-Pwu Tien's book titled "Chinese Home Cooking Made Easy".
- 6 boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 3 green onions, cut into pieces of about 2-inch long
- 6 ginger root slices
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2/3 cup of Shaoxing wine
- Boil the chicken broth. Add the chicken thighs, the green onions, and the ginger root slices. Cover and cook until the chicken is just done, but still tender, about 7-10 minutes. Avoid overcooking the chicken. Remove the chicken. Put the chicken broth in a container which will be used to soak the chicken.
- Wait until the chicken and the chicken broth has been cooled down. Mix the Shaoxing wine with 1 cup of chicken broth. Taste the liquid and add salt or wine, if necessary. This is the liquid that you will soak your chicken with and determines how your chicken tastes at the end. At this point, make sure that the liquid tastes just the way you'd like your drunken chicken to taste.
- Cut the chicken thighs into smaller pieces and soak them in the chicken broth and wine liquid. The chicken will be ready to serve after one day.
Nutrition fact: Chicken is a very good source of protein.
- In general, make the soaking wine liquid with 3 parts of chicken broth and 2 parts of Shaoxing wine. You may adjust the proportion of the wine according to your own preference. How much of the soaking wine liquid to prepare? It depends on the amount of chicken you use. The rule is to prepare enough of the wine soaking liquid so that all the chicken pieces will be covered in the liquid.
- Any chicken parts, with skin or with bones can be used in this dish. Which parts of chicken to make this dish depends on each individual's preference and health concerns. The trick is not to overcook the chicken.