Announcement message

Previous projects:
1. Exploring Taipei's eats during my last Taipei trip
2. The "One new dish a day!" project and my review.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chef Fu's Creative cold noodle sauce - Yogurt and peanut butter sauce

(請點此連接看中文版)
A few days ago, on a whim, I felt like eating cold noodles. Since I had no sesame sauce at hand, I decided to make my own from scratch with peanut butter. I combined some peanut butter with some water, some soy sauce, some sugar, some vinegar, and some sesame oil; and mixed all ingredients until the sauce became smooth. On another whim, I thought why not add some plain yogurt in the sauce. At this time my husband, who had tasted enough of my creative food, vigorously protested against this idea. He said all he wanted was a plate of cold noodles made of traditional sauce - that is, guaranteed to be delicious. So I had to reserve half of the peanut butter sauce that I had just made for him. I mixed some plain yogurt to the other half and made my own cold noodles with it. My cold noodles turned out unexpectedly extremely delicious! The best cold noodles I ever tasted! The plain yogurt enhanced the taste of cold noodles by making them more creamy.

Yogurt and peanut butter sauce
Ingredients:
I didn't record the amount that I used for each ingredient on that day. At this moment I can only encourage you to use an appropriate amount for each ingredient and then adjust each by tasting the resulting sauce. In the near future I will make this sauce again and record the best amount to use for each ingredient. Then I will come back to update this post.

1. Peanut butter, the creamy type, 2 tablespoons
2. Water, 2 tablespoons
3. Soy sauce, 2 tablespoons
4. Sugar, 1 tablespoon
5. Vinegar, 1 teaspoon
6. Sesame oil, 1 teaspoon
7. Plain yogurt, from whole milk, 1/4 cup

Directions:
  1. Mix ingredients 1-6 until the sauce is smooth.
  2. Add the plain yogurt and mix well.
So far I have only tried the combination of yogurt and peanut butter, where yogurt greatly enhances the taste of cold noodles by making them creamy. I would think that the combination of yogurt and sesame paste should have a similar effect. When I told a friend of mine about this creative combination, she was excited to suggest that sour cream might have a similar effect too. There are quite a few combinations to experiment here! My friends, if you are interested in trying this recipe or making variations of it, please do so and be sure to come back here to share your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment