Announcement message

Previous projects:
1. Exploring Taipei's eats during my last Taipei trip
2. The "One new dish a day!" project and my review.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

臘味蘿蔔糕 - 我做的年菜 (六) Steamed radish rice cake, sausage-flavored - One of the dishes I made for celebrating the new year (6)

DSC08606
After making two sweet rice cakes in minutes, my confidence was boosted a lot. Making radish rice cakes must not be that hard either, I thought. I googled on the Web and found a recipe for making steamed radish rice cake. I bought 3 large radishes and a bag of "Zai Lai" rice flour. Using the instructions in the recipe as guidelines, I made one steamed radish rice cake, sausage-flavored. It is very delicious, I think. However the feedback from family and friends are: it could be a little softer and use more radishes.

Making the radish rice cake is not effortless, if you manually shred radishes as I did. I don't think I'd make another radish rice cake, unless I have a food processor on hand.

Ingredients: (I have to confess: Since I don't have measuring cups or spoons here in Taipei, I measure ingredients by estimating. I do have a scale for weighing the ingredients; however I don't always use it. )
  1. "Zai Lai" rice flour, 1 bag, 500 grams
  2. Radishes, 2000 grams (I didn't weigh the radishes that I had used. But I am sure that I used less than 2000 grams. )
  3. Shiitake mushrooms, 5
  4. Dried shrimps, soaked, 5 tablespoons
  5. Chinese sausages, 3
  6. Fried shallots, 6 tablespoons
  7. Water, 2.5 cups
  8. Salt, 2 teaspoons
  9. Sugar, 2 tablespoons
  10. Pepper, 1 teaspoon
  11. Oil, 0.5 cup
Directions:
  1. Shred the radishes;
  2. Saute the mushrooms, shrimps, sausages in oil;
  3. Add the radish shreds and continue to cook until the radish is soft; turn off the stove.
  4. Add salt, sugar, pepper and fried shallots;
  5. Mix the rice flour with the water;
  6. Mix the rice flour liquid with the radish mixture.
  7. Place the mixture in an oiled pan and steam it in an electric rice cooker for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment